Are you feeling off balance? Do you often stumble and feel unsteady? Stumbles and falls should not be dismissed as simply a normal consequence of aging. Our fall prevention program will increase your body and situational awareness, provide you with tools to decrease your fall risk, and enhance your body’s natural balance system. Even if you have not fallen, but have noticed more unsteadiness during your daily routine, we can restore you to stability, balance and strength.
The statistics for falls are staggering. According to the World Health Organization, falls are the second leading cause of accidental or unintentional injury deaths worldwide. According the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury.
- Each year, 3 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- Over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of a fall injury, most often because of a head injury or hip fracture.
- Each year at least 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures.
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling; usually by falling sideways.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
Balance can be compromised by:
- Vision problems
- Inner ear problems
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Spinal disorders including the back and neck
- Neurological disease
- Sedentary lifestyle
Falls can have serious consequences to your health and independence with daily activities. Physical therapy can help improve your stability, strength and balance and can reduce your fear and risk of falling.
Benefits of our Fall Prevention Program:
- Thorough evaluation to determine the cause of your balance deficit.
- Education on the balance system and discussion of risk factors
- Personalized program to address areas where balance can be improved.
- Home safety checklist
- Instruction on safe movement patterns
Why Act Now?
Allow us to help you avoid a catastrophic event resulting from a fall. Don’t put it off any longer. The longer you wait the more serious your problem may become. Don’t continue to live with fear of falling.